Goryeong, which was the capital of Daegaya, was annexed to Shilla in 562 and its name was changed to Daegayagun. The strong hill castles constructed by Daegaya at each place were used in useful when Shilla unified the three countries with suppressing Baekjae and Goguryeo. In the Unified Shilla Times, it belonged to Cheongju (Gangju later) which had Jeonhwahyun (Yarohyun later) and Gasihyehyun (sinboghyun later) and its name was changed to Goryeonggun in 757. In the Late Three Country Times, it acted as an important military strategic place because the borders of Shilla and Late Baekjae are attached here.
Relics and heritages of Shilla and Unified Shilla Times
Shilla would try to remove the various traces of Daegaya to prevent possible recovery by Daegaya which resisted to the end. The royalty and the governing level were made to live at the far places, the facilities such as the palaces and government buildings were broken to prevent reuse, and all was changed to Shilla’s type. However, meanwhile, it seems that Shilla wanted Daegaya people to live as Shilla people with soothing them by constructing a large temple in Daegaya. This fact can be identified in the Danggan props, stone pagoda, and Buddhist statue of Jisanri which was constructed in the Unified Shilla Times.
Roof tile piece with carved name of Mulsansa
The name of Mulsansa is carved on this roof tile piece excavated from the Mosangol in Jisanri, Goryeong. The name of the temple where unknown Jisanri Danggan props were placed was Mulsansa and it is indicated that the current name of the village, Jisanri, passed the course of change through Mulsan, Mul (water, pond) san, and Jisan (the meaning of a pond mountain).
(714-801)1203, Daegaya-ro, Daegaya-eup, Goryeong-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do, Korea
Copyrightⓒ 2001~2009 Daegaya Museum. All rights reserved.